Friday 6 June 2008

POOR OR A BITCH? THE AGE OLD DILEMMA

In continuance of this money-grubbing theme from the last post, I'm going to add WEIRDOS #4 (alternatively WEIRDO #4 and WEIRDO #5). This was a young couple who argued for about two minutes over whether or not to let me keep the change. Two minutes, arguing on the doorstep (and this wasn't on some private cul-de-sac, it was basically in the middle of the city centre), right in front of me, over whether to let me keep the change or not. Now, if the order was worth 5.49 and the girl had just given me a twenty, I could get down with the fact that she was arduously demanding to get the change back. That's cool; that's some serious dosh.

As a matter of fact, she had given me a twenty. But the order was worth 19.79

That's two minutes of arguing, in public, over 21p. This woman's dignity was apparently worth less to her than 21p. Finally, someone with as little dignity and spare cash as me.

Or she was just a bitch. Probably that. The bitch thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a question, though- would it have been worse if she had insisted, magnanimously, that you keep the change, feeling that 21p is a sufficient tip?

Matt said...

Hah! 21p is a grandiose tip for most customers: England really needs to start cultivating a tipping culture, like, before I quite my job/get fired.